Sunday, February 17, 2013

AJ Hackett Kawarau Bridge Bungy

AJ Hackett Kawarau Bungy website  

Our small group of seven made our way to The Station, a tourist information center located on Shotover Street for many of the major adrenalin thrills including the Kawarau Bungy, which plummets you towards the raging water 43 meters below and snaps you back up just before or just after you hit the water. Our book in was successful and fast and soon we were enjoying the small attractions on offer, like computers with internet, bean bags and the bungy ropes to play with while waiting for the ride out to the Kawarau site. The cost for an adult is $180, for a child $130 and for a NZ student cardholder $150 and transport is optional. It wasn't long before we were boarding the big black shuttle and on our way. This included transportation was the perfect way for our group to get to the site and we were also picked up from the bungy site and dropped back at The Station.



The shuttle ride took around 20 minutes
and we channeled our nervous energy
into watching the sheep pass by and the rain drizzle down the windows. The driver
told us exactly how long to our destination, which stop ours was and made other
small comments before leaving us to drown our thoughts and excitement in the radio music. For me this was the beginning of my nervous excitement, I was finally on my way towards the big leap over the edge!





On arrival we watched a movie on repeat to the public which told us so much on how bungy jumping started and about AJ Hackett, one of the main leaders in developing the bungy jumping and thrill seeking movement. AJ Hackett is the dare devil of his generation, jumping off the Eiffel Tower, a gondola in the freezing alps and breaking the world record for the longest bungy jump using a helicopter as leverage. He has brought so much to the community of those who seek the adrenalin rush and has left a huge mark on the world.





Once we had seen the video we got ourselves checked in, weighed, stamped and were ready. Each one of us had the 'privilege' of jumping in the pouring rain and some of us even opted to get dunked in the river! When it came to my turn all the jumpmasters and staff were incredibly supportive and light-hearted considering I was about to jump off a bridge. Standing at the edge and trying not to look down was probably the hardest thing but it didn't take much prompting before I launched myself into the air. It was surprising that just after I took off a small involuntary squeal let itself out as I plummeted towards the water. I loved my jump and despite the rain it was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done, I can't wait to do another jump soon!!



Once back inside I collected my free Kawarau Bridge Bungy t-shirt and viewed the photos and videos of my jump. To buy either my photos or my video was $45 and to buy both was $80. The bungy centre can also cater for group bookings, school groups, corporate experiences and often has discounts and vouchers available. The fantastic venue can also be turned into a conference centre, which can be perfect for the local businesses or the major well-known events and fundraisers.   
The best reviews


I would highly recommend this particular AJ Hackett jump site because the staff were absolutely wonderful and the day ran smoothly from booking in at The Station to actually standing on the edge. Even if you don't want to jump there are so many other things at the site like a cafe, merchandise, videos, watching the jumpers from the outside deck or from the screens inside and talking to the staff who are more than happy to answer any questions. The thrill of today was definitely worth the rain and the heart pounding of adrenalin!


Check out this blog which shows how the Kawarau Bungy can be enjoyed by anyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment